Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Morning Gift From The Universe


I woke up this morning after strange dreams
and as I was recalling them
and washing my hands
in half darkness of morning
something moved on the toothpaste cup
and at first startled me
Until I noticed it was a gift
and I was filled with awe and excitement
It was a small Praying Mantis
He was gently carried outside
on the toothbrush cup
and put on a leaf
here is what an on-line article had to say about
the symbolism and message of 
the Praying Mantis

Praying Mantis Meanings in the Realms of Animal Symbolism
The mantis comes to us when we need peace, quiet and calm in our lives. Usually the mantis makes an appearance when we've flooded our lives with so much business, activity, or chaos that we can no longer hear the still small voice within us because of the external din we've created.
After observing this creature for any length of time you can see why the symbolism of the praying mantis deals with stillness and patience. The mantis takes her time, and lives her life at her own silent pace.
These traits have lead the mantis to be a symbol of meditation and contemplation. In fact, in China, the mantis has long been honored for her mindful movements.
The mantis never makes a move unless she is 100% positive it is the right thing for her to do. This is a message to us to contemplate and be sure our minds and souls all agree together about the choices we are making in our lives.
Overwhelmingly in most cultures the mantis is a symbol of stillness. As such, she is an ambassador from the animal kingdom giving testimony to the benefits of meditation, and calming our minds.
An appearance from the mantis is a message to be still, go within, meditate, get quite and reach a place of calm. It may also a sign for you to be more mindful of the choices you are making and confirm that these choices are congruent.

and here is what I have to say about Praying Mantis :

 Mantis–praying
Praying Mantis
what is your gift
so still
and gentle
slowly crawling
towards
my unconscious
open hand
as I review
the dreams
from the dreaming time
and you show up
to interrupt
or validate
the deep thoughts
in my head
thank you
crawl slowly
I will try too
pray
be gentle
in thoughts
and actions
and crawl slowly
you are in my heart

~Jenny

1 comment:

Laura Bray said...

That's a really cool story. I just saw a movie (can't remember the name now) that said the praying mantis was god.