Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Elephants

"I have learned to live each day as it comes, and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow.  It is the dark menace of the future that makes cowards of us."  ~Dorothy Day

I have noticed that when things start piling up I get overwhelmed, and instead of setting out to tackle them--I panic and freeze, because I don't know where to start--I want to do it all tomorrow--and then things pile up worse and I panic and freeze more and then stress about what is not getting done and needs my attention and hard work.  I do this with everything--I'm a freezer and a runner. My momma once said to me "how do you eat an elephant?--one bite at a time."  These words have been going round in my head for days, reminding me that if I just make a start of the pile of things on my desk, and take care of one at a time eventually it will become more manageable,  the same for huge goals, relationships, life changing situations that need to be started on. So I can eat that elephant....one bite at a time.....

(why does the best advice from my family always have to do with animals---if you stop feeding "stray cats" they will stop coming around---if you lye down with dogs, you'll get up with flees---hickeys are like an animal pissing on it's territory---don't let yourself be pecked to death by ducks--)

~Jenny

No comments: